For many years our newsletter has acknowledged the deaths of our fellow graduates. We will continue to do so on our website and hope that class representatives, family and friends will continue to notify us, by sending an email to email@example.com. Please send along a picture and a story if possible.
Please remember the contributions of these nurses and how they helped to shape HSC nursing history.
July 31, 2017 – Carol Ann (Fearncombe) Benn, Cl’57.
November 14, 2015– Jane (Perkins) Ward, Cl’ 57 – Jane’s classmate Carol Gibson writes, “Jane and I shared a long friendship that began at HSC and continued here in Ottawa. She was a piano teacher for many years, a wonderful hostess and cook, the home she shared with husband Peter was like a B&B, everyone welcome for meals or overnight stays. She started a bookclub in 1970, 47 years later we still meet. Jane and I drove to the Briars every two years for mini reunions with other classmates. We treasure our last one in 2015, two months before her sudden death. Jane had a deep faith, was active in her church and always saw the goodness in others. She is deeply missed.” From her obituary (www.tubmanfuneralhomes.com) we learn that Jane was born in Sudbury and was raised in Barrie. She was a member of All Saints Aglican Church, Westboro.
April 17, 2015 – Jean Elizabeth (Thompson) Tucker, Cl’ 49 (Spring) – Jean rarely missed an Alumnae event through the years. Karen Hunter Cl/67 worked with Jean at North York General for many years. This is a link to Jean’s obituary: http://www.legacy.com/link.
March 8, 2015 – Dr Eleanor (Ellie) Pask, Cl’59. Long time member of the Alumnae Executive and editor of the Alumnae News. Well known to all graduates and will be sadly missed. Please read about Ellie’s career on the link below.
(You can see one of Ellie’s stories here on our website by following the links to Connections/Memories-Stories of Our Past/North Bay Adventure)
February 25, 2015 – Sheila Joy (Marani) Moore Cl’57 in her 80th year. Funeral was held in Toronto.
January 9, 2014 – Judith Mary Campbell (nee Kirkland) (1933-2014) graduated from HSC in 1954, worked as a nurse in a number of major Canadian cities before retiring from the University of Guelph’s Student Health Services in 1995.
September 1, 2013 – Margaret Elizabeth Kirk (Farquhar) Garber, Class 1967 – Died at home with family after a lengthy illness. A moving tribute by husband Nathan can be found on the James A Harris Funeral Home, London ON website.
July 2, 2013 – Joan Mansell, Class 1953. Died suddenly but peacefully. Described as a loving aunt to a niece and three nephews, 7 great-nephews, 2 great-nieces, and a great-great niece. As we know, Joan dedicated her life to a career in nursing. In lieu of flowers, family ask that donations be made to the Hospital for Sick Children.
March 14, 2013 – Linda/Carolyn (Cooey) Scott, Class 1957
February 28, 2013 – Nellie (Johnston) Crombie, Class Fall 1936. Nellie moved to South Africa in 1942 at the age of 29. She met her husband, married and raised her family there. She remained an active member of the HSC Alumnae. She died in her 101 st year.
January 14, 2013 – Beverly June (McKown) Beecher Class 1962
We were made aware of the following deaths in 2012. We know there are likely others. Please let us know if we should add anyone else to our Remembrance list. Send along a photo if you can. Thanks.
November 20, 2012 – Margaret (Patterson) Littlewood, Class Sept ’57
December 12, 2012 – Frances Menary, Class 1948 (Fall)
December 20, 2012 – Margaret (Nesbitt) Pozner, Class 1945 (Fall) (Class Representative)
The Spring 2011 Alumnae News notes the deaths of the following nurses:
- Joan (McCorkindale) Armstrong, ’51, August 2010
- Joyce (Morrison) Best, ’44F, March 2011
- Carol (Bauman) Connell, ’68, May 2010
- Barbara (Freeson) Eastwood, ’49F, 2008
- Liz Evans, ’64, date unknown
- Christine (Bowman) Fenton, ’45F, January 31, 2011
- Isobel (McDonald) Franklin, ’54, October 16, 2010
- Marion (Lewis) French, ’45F, January 2010
- Joyce (Scott) Gray, ’49S, June 2010
- Adelaide (Johnson) Gilmore, ’36F, date unknown
- Myrlene (Wager) Heywood, ’58S, December 2010
- Jocelyn (Bradley) Jones, ’64, February 2011
- Rosalie (Dowsley) Knott, ’57F, 1986
- Peggy (Tucker) Lonsdale, ’45S, 2010
- Thelma J. May, ’45F, April 2011
- Jean (Brown) McCutcheon, ’40S, 2010
- Barbara (Bolsby) Moore, ’64, June 2010
- Effie (Hawker) Nickels, ’32F, June 27, 2005
- Dorothy (Dixon) Peschong, ’51, December 2, 2010
- Marion (Jessop) Reeves, ’48F, January 2011
- Margaret Ruth (Davidson) Rosch, ’49F, August 22, 2008
- Ethelywn (Jeffers) Scott, ’41S, 2010
- Jane (Haas) Townley, ’46, January 25, 2011
- Helen (Onyett) Taylor, ’64, date unknown
- Elizabeth (Williams) Taylor, ’45S, date unknown
- Eileen (Guthrie) Waltham, ’64, January 2011
- Patricia (Kilgour) Waurick, ’56S, 2008
The Fall 2010 Alumnae News notes the deaths of the following nurses:
- Audrey (Sasaki) Fukuzawa, ’54, April 2010
- Jocelyn (Harley) Gunn, ’48F, July 2010
- Jessie (Gerber) Mulholland, ’48S, April 2010
- Barbara (Bolsby) Moor, ’64, June 2010
- Barbara (Bobby) (Kernaghan) Rance, ’46, August 2010
- Joan (Hebdon) Shimeall, ’47F, June 2010
- Jean McCannell Upjohn, ’38S, March 2010
- Helen Watkiss, ’75, March 2010
- Nancy (Ross) Wolfraim, ’48F, August 2010
The Spring 2010 Alumnae News notes the deaths of the following nurses:
- Joyce (Austin) Mark, ’44F, Sept 20, 2009
- Phyllis (Charlton) Maxwell, ’39F, Feb 13, 2009
- Ann (Wade) Banner, ’53F, Sept 2009
- Margaret (McEachren) Boyce, ’46F, Nov 2009
- Kay (McCririck) Reynolds, ’52, March 2010
- Phoebe Macnab, ’46, Jan 14, 2010
- Margaret (Hayward) Phillips, ’48S, 2009
- Jean (Allen) Seaman, ’42F, Jan 25, 2009
- Muriel (Smith) Van Dine, ’41F, Aug 28, 2009
- Josephine (Phillips) Wilson, ’43S, Nov 9, 2009